Monday, September 10, 2012

Crocheted stones

Artist Margaret Oomen has wonderful creations that leave you speechless. These crocheted stones are gorgeous. She also has an Etsy Shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/knitalatte where you can purchase her crocheted stones (if you're quick enough since they go so quickly!) as well as beautiful still life photographs of her crocheted stones
Some words from Margaret Oomen
Currently I am using stones that have been made smooth by the constant energetic forces of nature. I have collected them during my travels and from the kind donations of wonderful people all over the world. I feel the ocean and sea stones connect us in ways difficult for us to fathom. I cover these stones using only repurposed vintage threads worked with vintage crochet hooks. I like the idea that these materials were forming lace patterns long before I used them in my own two hands to cover the stones. The crochet patterns are almost always inspired by things I have observed in nature: lichen, leaves, webs, frost patterns, and snowflakes, to name a few.  Fractal patterns, Fibonacci, and other mathematical sequences are more obvious with some of the crocheted stones than in others.  Most of my patterns are made up as I crochet along using the color, texture, and shape of the stone to guide me.  When I am not crocheting I am arranging my collections and photographing them in arrangements that emphasize their relationships to each other and the natural world

See more on Margerets blog http://www.resurrectionfern.typepad.com/   

Margeret Ooman's crocheted orb by day and by night, to see how this orb is made go here http://resurrectionfern.typepad.com/resurrection_fern/2008/07/crochet-a-spher.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - each one makes my day!

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...